OARS, the Olympia Amateur Radio Society, NT7H
is an ARRL Special Service Club dedicated to promoting and supporting Amateur Radio in the Olympia Washington area as well as all of Thurston County.

June 21, 2023 at 7:00 PM will be in person at the West Bay Marina/Tugboat Annie's, 2100 Westbay Drive, Olympia, WA. The meeting is also available on Zoom at 435 905 935 password 147360

is available on the second Wednesday each month at the Alpine Hills Community Park at the intersection of Westhill Dr SW and Northill Dr SW. Remember you need a federal registration number available for free on the FCC website. Also remember to dress for the weather since we are in an open picnic shelter. Candidate numbers have increased so testing is starting at 5 pm to accommodate everyone. Follow this link for more information:

Scroll down, there's more!

Every Tuesday Evening beginning at 7:30 PM on the OARS Repeaters

OARS Repeaters operate on the following frequencies:
Olympia NT7H 147.36 MHz(+0.6) (PL 103.5 )
Crawford Mt NT7H 224.46 MHz(-1.6) (PL 103.5)
Crawford Mt NT7H 441.40 MHz(+5.0) (PL 103.5)
Available for public use but not linked to the other OARS repeaters:
Capital Peak WW7RG 53.570MHz(-1.7) (PL 100.0)

Other, non-OARS, local repeaters:
Capital Peak K7CPR 145.47MHz(-0.6) (PL 100.0)
Capital Peak N7UJK 444.950MHz(+5.0) (PL 118.8)
Capital Peak WW7RG 927.30MHz(-25.0) (PL 114.8)
Crawford Mt W7DK 147.38MHz(+0.6) (PL 103.5)
Grass Mt WW7RG 53.87MHz(-1.7) (PL 100.0)
Lacey WC7I 146.800MHz(-0.6) (PL 97.4)
Lacey WC7I 442.475MHz(+5.0) (PL100.0)
Olympia KC7CKO 443.075MHz(+5.0) (PL 103.5)
Tumwater N7EHP 147.12 (+0.6) (PL 173.8)

OARS VE Testing Results 2023      
  Technician General Extra
Jan 3 1  
Feb 2    
Mar 3    
Apr 4 2  
May   4 1
YTD 12 7 1

OARS at Spring Fun Fair

This year OARS will team up with TCARES again to sponsor a large booth at the upcoming Lacey Spring Fun Fair. One of the largest two-day festivals in Southwest Washington, with over 16,000 people in attendance.
This opportunity to present Amateur radio and ARES will be held on the beautiful Saint Martin’s University campus in Lacey, Washington on:
Saturday, May 20, 10 am – 6 pm and Sunday, May 21, 11 am – 5:00pm.
OARS has stepped up early and has secured the best possible display area within the Pavilion at St. Martins and has plans to provide attendees with outstanding presentations of Amateur Radio at work and at play. Included in the presentation will be TCARES and disaster preparedness and “hands on” demonstrations, by OARS, of morse code in use for communications.
The OARS (Olympia Amateur Radio Society) and TCARES (Thurston County Amateur Radio Emergency Services) goal for this event is to provide its members with time to interact with those attending the Fun Fair and to demonstrate to the community its unique ability to serve in the event of a disaster. Additionally, this interaction will help to grow the organization’s memberships through their sharing of knowledge and passion for HAM Radio with attendees.
Doug Grover, N7POV, is working to organize this event and asks for the club to recognize that there will be staffing needs and accessory needs for the booth. Although there will be electricity supplied, we will have a need for tables, chairs, extension cords and radio equipment. Doug hopes to hear from members regarding their thoughts towards making this event demonstrate the outstanding efforts made by OARS and TCARES on behalf of the community.
You may contact Doug, N7POV at dtgrover4975@gmail.com or text to 360-402-2968

How to join OARS

Click on the "Online Membership Form" under "Club Related Information", fill it out and submit it. Dues are $25 per year due in Jan each year, use the "Payments to OARS" link.


Thurston County ARES is an all volunteer organization of amateur radio operators who serve our community during disasters. If you are interested in joining TCARES, send an email to wa7oly@gmail.com and we will get you started.

International Operating

To be honest here, the Wikipedia page on Amateur Radio International Operation is terrific and perhaps the best place to start:
(For Americans and Canadians: Operate in each others countries. You're good-to-go.)
Just check out that page, and if you still have any doubts, go to these other links below, but be warned that they can only add to the confusion:

European Conference of Postal & Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT)
FCC Notice regarding CEPT: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/cept-ral.pdf
In the Americas, Canada, The United States, and Peru are all CEPT signatories.

When operating in CEPT countries, American Hams must carry:
  • Original US license
  • Proof of US citizenship
  • A copy of the FCC public notice when operating in CEPT countries.

International Amateur Radio Permit (IARP)
Used between signatories of Organization of American States (OAS) agreement A-62.
Not needed if both nations are signatories of CEPT, or have a reciprocal operating agreement, which takes precedence.
Good for 365 days.
ARRL pdf to obtain an IARP:
It's not needed by Canadians operating in the US or Americans operating in Canada, due to the Canada-US Reciprocal Operating Agreement of 1952, and oh yeah, CEPT.
ARRL page that's a good place to start regarding operating on other countries:


An important point is the final answer on the page, explaining why Canadians in the US and Americans in Canada don't need an IARP.
It explains that the Canada-US Reciprocal Operating Agreement bypasses that requirement.
Of course, even without the 1952 reciprocal agreement, both US and Canada are CEPT signatories, so that would apply even if there was no reciprocal agreement.
The agreement: http://wp.rac.ca/operating/canada-united-states-reciprocal-operating-agreement

It should be noted that although there is also a reciprocal operating agreement between the US and Canada, American operators in Canada may still need to carry the same documents required by CEPT. This is where things get fuzzy as there are both pages that say Americans and Canadians Do or Don't need to carry a CEPT document. -shrug- Just print it out and carry it to be safe.

Also when in doubt, find out what the authoritative organization(s) in the destination country say, not what is being said in your own country.

But wait, there's even more information in case you haven't drowned yet!
ARRL has links to other countries' information about their international agreements. Note that some of the links are broken, but if you're traveling abroad, check this page.